Truth be told, I hated airbrush when I first started..yes, HATED! Years and several classes later (after testing out multiple companies’ products), I learned to retrain my eye in this new medium. I found my groove, favorite product and I am now BEYOND OBSESSED! It is AHHHMAZZING So let me tell you a little story about airbrush makeup. What exactly is airbrush makeup?? This may be a top question in the Parlour, so here are the facts… Everyone seems to think it is the latest and the greatest..well it really is , BUT it has been around for quite some time now. Airbrush makeup was actually started back in the late 1800′s (pre-photoshop life) but it has evolved quite a bit since then. Why is it so popular now? The high-definition world has now reached the consumer market, and therefore traditional makeup techniques were forced to evolve overnight. HD Lens can literally detect every line and freckle. So that pound of foundation and bronzer you have on, AH, not going to fly! The more pixels the camera lens has means the sharper the picture will be (airbrush makeup means less photoshopping later) . It also means that you will looking flawless on your friends camera phone when she instantly uploads your pic to Facebook, tumblr, or instagram. We needed a makeup that did not sit in the lines and was able to sustain all external factors throughout the day less touch ups+ perfect color matching = ZERO build up of color on the skin There was a need for makeup to look less “made-up” . So good by to that line of demarcation on your jawline YOU are now flawless naturally (wink wink ) So now your skin looks amazing as the lovely Emma Stone. Thank you technology!
Okay back to the fundamentals….A professional airbrushing makeup artist will come to your event/wedding with a compressor and a makeup gun in hand.
The one shown here we use at the Parlour from Temptu Pro
The makeup comes in liquid form. A few drops are added to the gun where it is then compressed through the gun with a flow of air. The air pressure is measured in what is called the psi (pounds per square inch). A trained airbrush artist will know how to adjust the psi level for each part of the body. This is important because you will need a higher psi for the body than the eyelid, you do not want to push the makeup into skin. Now the few drops of liquid makeup are pressed through the gun with an evenly distributed fine mist of product controlled completely by one finger (the trigger finger) IF now I say IF it is down correctly you should not be able to see the makeup on the skin. The makeup “sits on” top of your skin still allowing it to breath and looking completely flawless! But, again here is the but these are some things to consider
- If your skin is dry like any other foundation it will be visible to they eye
Here are some factors that come along with air brushing that would come into play if you were using a traditional foundation as well.
Taking proper care of your skin can only enhance any foundation you use on your skin. We will get to proper skincare in another blog entry. Now that we have briefed you on the history of the airbrush as well as how it is applied..Here are the facts! Now this is based on the Temptu Pro product we use in our beauty parlour for weddings/special events. There a so many other fabulous airbrush products and different types of formulations for specific needs, but this is what we use, are trained in extensively and love more than anything!
- Non transferable (will not rub off on your dress or your groom)
- Seamless, Flawless and undetectable when performed by our artists which means flawless face on every camera lens not just your wedding photographer
- Long wearing, no need to power that nose 3 hours later!
- Lightwieght texture (airbrush does not mean a MASK of makeup)
- Sanitary Although we thoroughly clean each and every brush after it is used on every client and then we give our brushes a bubble bath after every day then we disinfect! some artists may not….making airbrush the ideal choice if you are concerned with sanitary practices but if you have booked us or you are going to fear not we use Beauty So Clean , 99% alcohol and we NEVER NEVER double DIP! Double Dipping is gross and icky!
- Tear, sweat, and streak proof
- Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic (will not clog your pores)
- One of my favorites! We can create your perfect custom color!!! yes perfect So if your forehead and chin are always a different color well that will not happen on my watch!
Now that you know the facts! We will brag just a bit…. Jennie Kay is a Advanced Temptu Pro trained artist. She has training in advanced beauty techniques (yes she can airbrush your eye makeup on flawlessly (she is that good!) as well as special effects makeup.
Picture of Jenny Packman Fashion Week 2011 with Temptu Pro products used.